Monday, April 04, 2005

Public transport

I went to a NARAL planning meeting tonight. As I was walking back from their office to downtown Denver, I felt so happy. Happy that it was still light after 7 at night, happy to be walking through the concrete and glass jungle, happy to be scooting across Broadway trying to avoid getting run over.

Living in suburbia, I miss walking everywhere. I CAN walk to the store, the coffee shop, the laundry, but I don't enjoy it because all I get to walk by are suburban homes. I think the suburb has to be about the most boring landscape on the planet. Not to mention that the Broomfield city council's idea of a sidewalk looks like it was laid out by a drunk. I suppose they're striving for the country effect:

"Oh, look, Virginia, a lovely winding sidewalk on the way to the strip mall!"

I'd like to be able to go out my door into a more urban landscape, hop on a bus and get to where I'm going. Driving is convenient, but sitting on a bus is usually pretty soothing to me, and I can read. The real drag about riding the bus comes when you have to take two buses to get to where you're going, sandwiched in between a long walk on either end. Or if you're doing errands--trying to get to stores all over a city is definitely not fun on a bus. I know; I took buses for years and years. It was reasonably easy in Boulder and in Washington, DC, but in Broomfield--naah. It's a pain in the ass.

Tonight I was wondering if I'd be happier having a job at an office. I think the answer is probably no, I'd get bored with that just as I get bored working at home all day. I guess I'm just a grass-is-greener type of person. Or a person with a need for endless changes of pace. And I've spent so many years not having to answer to anyone for my schedule--that would take some getting used to.

"Whaddya mean, I can't have vacation next week? Eat my Uzi!"

I can see the headline: "Former copyeditor goes postal."

"She was always so quiet," said Sex Scenes at Starbucks, playing with one of her piercings. "We never thought she'd do anything like that."

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger ssas said...

giggles.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger ssas said...

You know, I don't know how surprised I'd be. I think writers are capable of all sorts of scary things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home