Friday, March 18, 2005

What's an old woman like you doing at a kegger?

St. Patty's Day update: Went to Fado's to hearing the Indulgers with Sex and friends and Todd, who was fighting a cold and probably should have just stayed at home. I asked him to go, though, so he went. Is he sweet or what?

We had envisioned an Irish pub with comfy pub chairs to sit in while we downed Guinness and tapped our feet to the music. But as we came closer we realized there was a large tent attached to Fado's, absolutely packed with people. We went through the crowd looking for our friends, but Todd kept getting distracted by the Amazon in a lime green off-the-shoulder top, who walked back and forth, back and forth, as if she were on a runway. And I was having flashbacks to college, but something seemed different. Then I remembered: I'm 42!

Maybe I can rematriculate as a nontraditional student and have the party year that I never had. I'd be more popular cause I could afford to buy the good booze. Ketel One, anyone? All I could get last night was sucky Smirnoff in a plastic shot glass. I drank it, but I had to crush the piece-of-shit glass under my foot. Hard liquor should not be drunk from plastic.

Anyway, we stood around for 3 or 4 hours, listening to the Indulgers play. We wormed our way close to the front, where I could hear nothing except the word banshee, but the lead singer was a spaz. He kept flaring his eyes at the audience and flinging out his arms. Between his arms and the red-haired violin player, they were vastly entertaining. I'll have to go to another show where I can actually hear the words.

I have to say there were a lot of fairly homely women and really LARGE men at this event. But they were all friendly, clicking glasses and such, and I eventually found some smaller attractive men and a couple of beautiful women to watch. There was one guy with bedroom eyes AND hair (I'll bet he gets it easy) and a woman in a tweed cap who had that rosy-skin-black-hair-black-eyebrows thing going that I just love. Think Jennifer Connelly.

No, I don't want to sleep with her. I just like to look at her.

It's much more comfortable to watch a kegger in progress with your friends than actually be a 20-something and try to pick someone up at one. Though I'm not sure it would have been so hard to pick someone up--it's just that you'd have the long walk through the tent, past the nasty port-a-potties, and through downtown to think "Why why WHY?"

Todd left about 10, but I stayed and enjoyed another hour or so. The band never took a break the whole time we were there. I could hardly hear anyone talk during and after the concert. There should be some kind of small message board for bars, like the ones you use when you go scuba diving. You could flash messages at people. It would be so much easier than trying to converse at a bar.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger ssas said...

Well, you and Virtigo were iming each other.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger ssas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger ssas said...

And you're not too old to party, either!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home