Thursday, August 11, 2005

Lord of the Rings Synergy

On our trip last weekend, Todd and I visited the Women’s Rights National Historic Park in Seneca Falls, where in 1848 American women first called for the right to vote.

Two of the signers of the Declaration of Sentiments (modeled on the Declaration of Independence) were Martha Underhill and Edward Underhill.

When Frodo traveled to Bree, he went as Mr. Underhill.

Not only does Frodo live, but once he was reincarnated as a suffragist.

Oh and BTW, the United States was NOT the first country to give women the vote. I think it was New Zealand. Those kiwis! Anyway, several European countries granted women the vote before 1920, when we got around to it.

They fought for 72 years for that right. Never forget that.

3 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Blogger ssas said...

yea! you're back!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Django said...

I always thought Frodo was a little feminine.

Welcome back...

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

I guess the term I would use is otherworldly. I mean, if he and Bilbo are going to spend eternity among the elves, they can't have much of a sex drive, eh?

Though I did once read some really amusing fan fiction about Frodo attempting to mount a female elf. They're tall, you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home