Monday, May 30, 2005

Are you suggestive?

Recently I bought a book titled "Rise and Dine" by Joey Porcelli, a woman who was in my screenwriting class two years ago. It lists places to go for breakfast in the Denver metro area.

Today I really wanted to try a place called Burnt Toast in Boulder, but then Todd reminded me that today was the Bolder Boulder, and it would be hell getting to the Hill, if we could even do it. So we settled for Huckleberry in Louisville. We'd been there for dinner before, and it had been good, but breakfast was something of a disappointment.

For one, I strongly believe that blueberry pancakes should have fruit INSIDE them, not just ON them. For another, they were far too thick--close to half an inch thick. I like the thin ones that remind you why they're sometimes called flapjacks.

In fact, for much of the meal I was daydreaming about explaining breakfast terms to a group of Saudi men. Don't ask me why I picked Saudi--just accept it. Suppose I were an ESL teacher writing this list on the board:

over easy
sunny side up
scrambled
omelette
poached
fried

Rather suggestive, wouldn't you say? If you didn't know the idiom, what would you make of "over easy," given the reputation of American women in some quarters? Over a barrel? Bend over?

And sunny side up? I guess that depends on your attitude toward sex--just think what happens when you cut into the yolk, for instance.

OK, now I'm grossing myself out.

You could do lots with poached and fried too.

2 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

We'll definitely try that one.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger ConnieO said...

Go to Denver one day & try the Watercourse. It's worth the drive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home