Saturday, September 03, 2005

They like me, I guess

I got another rejection today, one of those ones that cheers the heart a little because they say, and I quote, "We'd like to see more of your work."

There's just one problem.

I have no record of it. No memory of sending to this magazine.

But I can't deny I sent it because it came back in my SASE, and they printed the title of the story on the xeroxed rejection slip (at least this one was a whole page. I once got a rejection slip that was 8 1/2 inches wide and about 1/2 inch deep. Cheap bastards.).

I'm trying to figure out what could have happened. I have four journals listed on the 3X5 card I use to record submissions for this story. Did I think I was sending it to one of them and then actually send it to Fiction magazine? Did I send a letter to Fiction magazine that was addressed to, say, Potomac Review?

I'm such a slut.

Anybody remember Bull Durham? There's a scene where Susan Sarandon is on top of Ebby Calvin Nuke LaLoosh (I had to write out that name in full; the actor was Tim Robbins; I believe they met on this movie) and she calls the other guy's name (Crash Davis/Kevin Costner). Or was she on top of Crash...? Anyway, the-man-whose-character-name-I-can't-recall protests, and she says, "Would you rather I was with him calling your name?"

"We'd like to see more of your work."

Hey, baby, use me 'till you use me up.

There's a reason they call it the submission process.

1 Comments:

At 8:25 PM, Blogger ssas said...

oh my god, those fuckers.

I mean the comment spammers, and the literary types.

It'll happen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home