Saturday, September 16, 2006

The first wind of winter

About the only thing I can't abide about Colorado weather is the wind we get up here in the winters. The land rises up from Boulder to Broomfield, and we're at the top of it, just where Rock Creek Farm open space meets Miramonte. Today we were getting nearly 50 mile an hour winds. We had to put the umbrella from the deck furniture in the garage, because even closed and tied, it was catching the wind and threatening to blow over and scrape more holes in the deck. We took my three plants in the huge pots and put them in the garage, where they won't get any light but at least they won't break or freeze tonight.

I have pepper plants and mint plants all over my kitchen, and a serviceberry that I haven't planted yet in the hall.

The wind makes me feel like I'm screaming inside, especially when it lasts two or three days in a row.

Last winter was especially windy. I hope this one is calmer and a LOT snowier.

***

I'm at home tonight, with Rufus on my lap and Todd downstairs, doing copyediting. I took too much work this month, but I'm enjoying every job. This particular book is about a Jew fighting for the Confederacy in the Civil War. Not your usual image of Rebel soldier, is it?

Even though I hail from Missouri**, I don't consider myself Southern, so I had to go look up Battle Hymn of the Republic and sing a verse or two. Then I realized, what am I singing? Julia Ward Howe is saying that God is on the side of the Union.

I hate that kind of shit. The God I believe in is way above all that.

**See information online about the Missouri Compromise.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 AM, Blogger ssas said...

The wind makes me feel like I'm screaming inside, especially when it lasts two or three days in a row.


Wow. Poetic.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

Mostly just frustrated.

But that's the same thing, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home