Monday, October 30, 2006

New digs

Todd and I are thinking of moving into a cohousing project in Denver. We’d end up with less of our own space (probably half as much) and a bigger mortgage.

Insanity, you say?

Maybe. Who knows what form and size the mortgage will take. We don’t even have a unit design yet.

But I spend Sunday at a seminar designed to rectify that situation. We came up with the most pie-in-the-sky ideas you can imagine: a greenhouse, graywater incorporated into the project even though it’s illegal in Colorado, safe places for kids and dogs to play just a few minutes north of downtown Denver. I can’t even remember it all. The architects will take this list and turn it into condos and apartments.

Todd and I could end up with a space designed more for our needs instead of the needs of a family. We could end up with 360-degree views from a rooftop deck and a location a block from the Platte River and a decent walk or bike ride from downtown. Those thoughts make me happy.

It’s part of a new development called Taxi, in the River North district. Yesterday we were tossing around names for our part of it. Ted had suggested Cab, which I didn’t like, but then we came up with CaBooty, which we thought might be family-unfriendly, and Loco (you know, “Loco near Lodo”?).

The idea of leaving my garden makes me unhappy, however.

1 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger Brian Gage Los Angeles said...

Hi, Beth.

Rosie and I tried something similar and moved to a downtown LA loft - we bought off on the "Downtown is really coming back" myth...if "coming back" is urine stained sidewalks and crack junkies roaming the night - then wow - downtown LA really has made a come back!

We ended up going a bit loco and moved back to a real neighborhood a year later. Now we have a yard again! A tiny yard, but a yard none-the-less. And I don't have to take an elevator down 10 stories if I so desire to cap a chapter off with a smoke. hmmm - maybe downtown was better for me...

The place you described sure sounds cool though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home