Thursday, April 28, 2005

Now You See Her

Finally got around to reading Now You See Her by Whitney Otto, a book about a woman who turns 40 and begins to disappear. When it came out in the 1990s, I had thought of buying it for a friend who was turning 40, but now I'm really glad I didn't.

For one thing, it has a problem like that in One True Thing: it's all about the traps women get into. Boy do I get tired of that rag.

Here are some lines:

There are a million things to desire and a million ways to be told no.

Their house was passed over without understanding why one is saved from sorrow; and without understanding why, one cannot guard against such events.

What happens when one an only express sadness with great noise, unable to keep it contained in as small a space as the human heart, while the other cannot locate an opening large enough in his own heart to let it all out?

Why do people expect so much from God and so little from themselves?

No one told her it was possible--no, likely--that she would hold a friend's baby and whisper to herself (as the small, newly made fingers wrapped around her own), "This is what I want"--only to awaken the following day, relieved that she was without a child to raise.

The novel did have an interesting structure--the chapters had headings from Jeopardy, and the main character was one of the people who made up categories for Jeopardy.

Kind of reminded me of myself, being a copyeditor. My sixth-grade class prediction for me was that I would rewrite the English dictionary. Even then, I was a know-it-all. If anything, I've mellowed since then. It's all a little creepy, since I didn't like a lot of the people in my sixth-grade class, and yet they seemed to have pegged me.

I guess writing is the thing I've used to escape from my fondness for detail. So I think I'll go an work on the poetry chapbook I'm putting together for a contest.

And then I'm going to find an action novel with lots of hot sex. Any good suggestions, puhlease send them my way.

1 Comments:

At 1:56 PM, Blogger ssas said...

My third and fourth books have some good sex scenes. Too bad Pillowtalk still isn't around.

But nah, if you want sex go for Laurell K Hamilton - the series about the elves. The main character is trying to get prego so she can be queen, and she fucks a different guy in every scene.

As for the book... deep, man. Sounds like they were telling and not showing to me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home