Thursday, December 15, 2005

Hesitant

Just got back from hubby’s Christmas party, where we had a nice time (apparently a chocolate fountain is the latest hot new gadget), and I put on my PJs and started thinking about self-defense.

I’m not natural fighter, you understand. I’ve been taking classes for a year now, and I’m just learning how to throw a good hook punch. I still forget to put my body into punches.

Once you know how to fight a little, there’s the question of what to do with it. Should I take on the annoying person at the movie theater who saw my jacket on a seat (in a row with 4 other empty seats, you understand) and threw it on the floor? But then I imagined myself trying to explain to a jury why I couldn’t sit in one of the other 4 seats and just get over it already.

“Your Honor, he needed to be taught a lesson.”

“Here’s a lesson for you: a week in jail and anger management lessons!”

I don’t quite understand how a guy can come along, act like a jerk, and then put me in the position of looking childish. But that’s what happened.

I suppose I could have asked them to move, but I was afraid to. I was afraid it would start a fight that I wouldn’t be able to finish. And the only way to get over that fear is to fight, so it’s something of a dilemma.

When I started this post, I meant to write about fighting from a different angle. Even if I’m not the most perfect fighter, I’d be pretty good at teaching other people how to fight, at least the basic stuff. Some days I dream of going to some part of the world where women are really being dragged through the mud. A place like the Congo or Darfur, where women are being gang-raped to send a message. I dream of going there and teaching them to fight and making everything better. I know in my heart it’s nonsensical—what good is a left hook against shoulder-launched missiles and men on horseback with guns? But I still can’t get the idea out of my head.

Is it possible it could have a ripple effect? That it would make women start fighting back in all sorts of ways? That’s what I hope for. But I don’t know how to begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home