Thursday, January 27, 2005

Random Naked Slamming

We're not going to the naked party.

It's very sad.

How do we know people who like to party naked, you may well ask? This way: Todd plays Ultimate Frisbee 3 seasons of the year. A select group of frisbee players formed the Boulder Conviviality Society, which gets together for amateur theater and parties. And a subgroup of that society is having the naked party.

But we can't go because Todd has to do sound work for Orpheus Descending. I was really looking forward to trying to be naked for an entire day. I haven't done that since college, when I once spent a day in bed with my Brit boyfriend. Of course, that's not quite the same because we were under the covers. And lying there all day gave me quite the headache!

What if I got cold, I wondered? What if I left wet spots on the furniture? Would I be able to refrain from measuring penises with my eyes? With comparing the sag of my breasts to the twenty-something next to me? All in all, I thought it would be a great exercise in self-discovery. Or at least endurance.

Time to finish mourning and move on.

***

Cannon Mine Coffee Shop in Lafayette had a poetry slam tonight. BUT, only about half the people performing had any idea what a slam is. For one thing, the old but delightful Brit guy who won read his poems from a piece of paper--you're supposed to recite from memory at a slam or make it up on the spot! At least there weren't any poets doing that sing-song thing with their voice: duh duh daaaaaaaaaaaa (rising tone) over and over again. And two girls sang, quite well. My favorite was a girl named Kay Kron, who sounded a lot like Ani DiFranco and recited everything from memory. She should have won. Oh well, she's auditioning for Julliard in a couple of weeks and I'm sure she'll be a star soon--she was beautiful enough. I also liked Kris Mayer, who had some kind of speech impediment but still managed to enchant us with her voice. My friend Silvine, a fellow copyeditor, was there too and read some clever poems. We were commiserating each other about copyediting the big bad witchcraft book, and I managed to scandalize the Christians at the next table with talk about demonology.

***

I bought 4 pairs of shoes today and 2 pairs of pants. At least 1 pair of shoes goes right back to DSW because they don't match the skirt after all! I'll never find shoes to match that particular shade of burgundy. But I found a pair of black shoes to do justice to my Cat in the Hat tights. You see, my husband bought me red and white striped tights for Christmas in an effort to make me more hip, and it's my spousal duty to wear them in public at least once. I found a skirt to go with them at Gracie's in Aspen, but when I was walking around in those tights, I got SUCH a look from a passing teenager. Obviously she didn't think I was hip--she thought I was a desperate old woman trying to look cool. Of course, I've always thought that clothes designed for teenagers are some of the tackiest crap around. So I'm not too anxious to live down to her standards.

2 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger ssas said...

well, you could go naked at home for a day.

i guess it might not be the same.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to share the fun with my neighbors. They might not appreciate it, but more important, I don't want them looking at me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home