Monday, January 31, 2005

True Grit

So it seems that Iraqis turned out in greater numbers for their "election with terrorism" than U.S. citizens did for the presidential election. I'm so impressed, but it puts us to shame! We get 60% of voters going to the polls in an ordinary year; they get that many under an occupation and the threat of death for voting! It seems many of them, by voting, were shutting tight the coffin lid on Saddam Hussein's regime.

I liked seeing the pictures of women with blue fingertips, but it bothered me that so many of them were wearing the chador. Not that I am against that in principle--for many it is a political statement or a religious statement rather than a symbol of oppression. But from what I hear, many Iraqi women have started covering themselves because it's safer for them to walk the streets that way. I'm really worried about what the new constitution will bring for women in Iraq. I hope they don't lose their rights.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger ssas said...

i was in pottery barn kids today with two muslim women covered head to toe. four kids between them, none of them covered. i wondered how the one guy with them knew which one was his wife.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

I guess you'd get used to it. Sometimes it nice to hide that way and observe the world from behind a screen, but I think it would get so tiresome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home