Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Women in groups

No, this is not a sex post. Too bad.

I went to a meeting tonight hosted by NARAL Pro-Choice Colorado. There were only 6 people there, but I had a good time. NARAL wants to rebuild its network of activists in Colorado, so we spent the evening thinking of ways to get more people interested in what we're doing. We're going to do an abortion providers appreciation day on March 10, and then they were trying to get me excited about doing a pub crawl on St. Patty's Day in which we had out green condoms and information about emergency contraception (the morning-after pill). They suggested we wear t-shirts saying "Do you feel lucky?" or "Ask me how you can get lucky" or "Has your luck run out?"

No.

I can take gift baskets to abortion providers to thank them for their bravery in the face of harassment. But I can't walk up to a bunch of teenagers at a bar and hand them a green condom. I just can't. I won't. You can't make me.

That's right. I'm chicken.

We planned our next meeting for March 8. We're going to change the focus of the group a little bit--from just a strategy group to a group in which women can talk about the reproductive choices they've made in their lives. Yes, I know, women do this with their close friends all the time. But I think many of them don't know how many other women have made decisions like theirs. I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be cool to get a group of women together on a regular basis to tell their contraception stories and their pregnancy stories and their abortion stories. All the stuff that a woman's reproductive life is made of.

2 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger ssas said...

I've heard enough reproductive stories to last me a lifetime, thank you very much. Just get prego, you'll see. I know you can't, but it was... dammit. Alegory? No. Rhetorical. Yes, that's it.

Green condoms on St Patty's day. Clever. I wonder how that would go over at the pub. You're married. You can definitely bow out of that one, since you'd be fending off propositions all day.

I have to say that while I know it takes this sort of pushing to keep abortion legal, I take the side that it's private; from the left and the right. (Though I'm on the choice side - have to be or I'd be a hypocrite.) But now I just think everyone should stay the hell away from my uterus and vagina!

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

I couldn't agree more. I would much rather not do this kind of thing; I'm just trying to preserve for young women the rights I've been able to exercise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home