Thursday, May 26, 2005

Repeat

Tonight we're going to see an Ingmar Bergman movie at a friend's house in Denver. Apparently they have a huge new flat TV (wish we could get one!) and are doing regular movie nights.

With all the remakes coming out these days, I've been thinking that a great movie night would be to see an old version of a film and then the remake. I'm not sure how many people are film-famished enough to watch the "same" story twice over, but I'll bet it would be a hoot in the case of, say, Bewitched. Though I guess that was a TV show.

Could do the radio show of War of the Worlds and then go watch the Tom Cruise vehicle.

Speaking of Bergman, when I was at Georgetown University, we had to take a year of theology and a year of philosophy. One of my theology courses was entitled "Ingmar Bergman and the Problem of God," taught by Father Rocco Porecco. He was so memorable I named a character after him.

I guess I'm partial to Jesuits.

4 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger ssas said...

Not a fan of old movies. But Rocco, what a great name.

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Django said...

It just came to me: with my obsession for classic cinema and old movies, I've never once watched a Bergman movie, for some reason.

Maybe I should try to get one at our library...

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

JeR: I would suggest The Seventh Seal for a start. The one we watched last night, Autumn Sonata, was basically a long conversation between a mother and daughter about how much they hated each other. The acting was great, but man, the angst... maybe the Swedes like that.

In the Seventh Seal, if I remember correctly, a man plays chess with the grim reaper.

Persona is also cool, though more experimental.

Wild Strawberries is Bergman's version of a "light" film.

Double, I love old movies. I've been getting into silent movies lately. I seem to remember liking African Queen, but it's been so long.

Blockbuster sucks. Hollywood Video is soooooooo much better, but do they have one near you?

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

Well, I've been watching Tom Cruise's movies all in a row. I liked The Firm and Interview with the Vampire more than I expected. After I'm done with that I'm going to watch Billy Wilder's movies because I liked The Apartment. What else have I liked lately? I watched Starship Troopers again (guilty pleasure movie). The Motorcycle Diaries was great--I assume it's out on video now. Also, if you've never seen The Hustler (with Paul Newman) or Dr. Zhivago, I would recommend those two.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home