Saturday, May 14, 2005

Party, party, party

It was a solo Friday night. I went to the Eco-Cycle fundraiser alone, and I went to my friends’ party alone. But I didn’t feel lonely. I saw all kind of people at both places that I hardly ever see, and it was fun to catch up with them. The Eco-Cycle event seemed to be a success. I worked on it for two years when it was called Artful Recreations and was an art show fundraiser. This year they had only a few art items, but it seemed much more successful as a fundraiser. When I walked into the UMC, I could hear voices echoing down the empty dining room. The room was lined with things to bid on and had food tables snaking across the center.

I talked to my ward councilman about putting Broomfield on a pay-as-you-throw system (that means, the more trash you throw away, the more you pay; the more you recycle, the less you pay). He was feeling cautious, of course, because he’s running for mayor, and he recommended “study.”

Well, I tried. I can’t help if it he’s reluctant.

Did I mention the chocolate fountain? They had fruit to dip in it. It was a wonderful thing. I want one.

Sometimes it’s such fun to watch people at these events, their walk, their talk, their intimacy, their aloneness. One man was trying to steer a woman into the fountain. Other people focused intently on the auction, pulling their ears and nodding their heads. The auctioneer was hilarious and had a language all his own. I can’t even begin to replicate it…

I was standing in a doorway at the end of the night and a woman needed to get by. I moved out of her way and said to the fat, drunk, funny guy next to me, “I guess I’m in the way.” He replied, “You’re beautiful, and you’re not in the way.”

I really must go to more fundraisers.

Then I drove north to find my friends’ house and watch Bubba Hotep. Todd and I actually saw this film when it was in theaters, and I liked it as much the second time as I did the first. It’s a sweet, silly movie, but it has the correct amount of respect for itself. It had Bruce Campbell (Army of Darkness) as Elvis and Ossie Davis (Malcolm X…our black shining prince) as a “dyed” President Kennedy. They conquer…well, that would be a spoiler, wouldn’t it? Just go rent it.

I drove home about midnight. I fell asleep fine, but I kept waking up because Todd wasn’t there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home