Sunday, May 01, 2005

Turn Down the Volume

Is it just me, or is the problem with the modern age how much we can be exhorted?

I have 60 or so emails right now, and most of them are from groups I wanted to exhort me. But lately I feel so swamped--I'm not sure why. Is it spring fever?--and just want them all to go away.

I get very few emails that I would consider "fun." As in coming from someone I know in person who wants to tell me something about life. The same is true of snail mail. Most of it is junk mail. And I have so many other things to deal with in life that I don't get around to telling the Direct Marketing Association to get these marketers off my back.

I have a vague sense that it didn't use to be this way, but maybe that's just nostalgia. I still have the letters from my grandmother and mother that they sent through college and after. I never get letters like that anymore. People send cards or they send email.

I remember a woman from college talking about how she was a great letter-writer. I never have been, but I admire it in other people, and I certainly like receiving it.

Now it's all electronic.

Or Hallmark.

Or an action alert.

Is that sad, or am I just depressed because I turned on the TV tonight after a week without (TV Turnoff Week)?

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger ssas said...

I find tv to be depressing. Of course, I barely watch any more, but the less I watch the less patience I have for it. Odd, since I can sit for hours and read.

But reading requires a little brain power, after all.

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Django said...

I think you're quite right there.
Snail mail, spam. I wonder why they even bother since I'm getting rid of that stuff as soon as I get it.

On the other hand, when I get a present or a package from someone I know in the mail, it just makes my day.

TV stresses me out. Probably because of the commercial breaks. Books don't have commercial breaks.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

No, books draw you in and make you like it, whereas with TV...I always resent the attention it commands a little.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home