Monday, January 16, 2006

Thank God for the end of 2005

The New Year has come and gone; my cold/flu has come and gone and returned, and I am SO looking forward to 2006. Getting through 2005 was like slogging through mud sometimes: didn't do much writing, didn't get anything published--even the one story that has been accepted for publication is still languishing in Feminist Studies' backlog.

And no, they wouldn't hear of me sending it out somewhere else. I thought it was a win-win for everyone: if I place it elsewhere, they get to reduce their backlog, and if I don't, they can publish it. But no. God forbid common sense overtake the literary world.

So I've decided to make some changes in 2006 (in addition to my perennial New Year's resolution to lose weight by eating better chocolate; of course, a lot of sampling is required to determine what's best). I'm taking a short story workshop from Lighthouse Writers, and I'm going to hire Writer's Relief to send out at least one story for me. I'm also going to take a page from a fellow writer's book and stop spending so much damn time reading these literary magazines. They all exhort you to, but it doesn't make anything easier for the writer, and that's what I'm all about this year.

My New Year's resolution is to be a happy writer, whether I get published or not.

And that should make people around me happy.

They won't have to listen to me whine so much. Instead, I'll be spreading joy wherever I go.

1 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger ssas said...

I'm a horrible person to be around when I don't get to write, or, god forbid, can't write. Tre crabby.

GO, Writer, Go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home