Thursday, November 23, 2006

I'm surrounded

Dinner is long over.

The football game plays downstairs.

My loyalties are mixed, with Denver (where I live) playing Kansas City (where I grew up). Luckily, I am not enough of a sports fan to exercise myself over it too much.

Today began with a long walk to Stearns Lake with my inlaws, made longer by stops for birding. We saw two red-tailed hawks perching in barren trees, rafts of ducks on the lake, and a variety of sparrows. Not bad for late November.

Our dinner was untraditional in that the meat was pork, but it did include butternut squash and potatoes, both native to the Americas. We had a lovely wine, half semillion and half viognier, from a vintner in the Grand Valley. Definitely will get that one again.

We did our best to get all the food and drink for our dinner from within 100 miles (Treehugger's 100-Mile Thanksgiving Challenge). Right now we're in third place among all the entrants. We hope we stay there because then we'll get a $100 gift certificate as a prize.

Todd did the planning of the menu, and he did an excellent job.

I feel very peaceful. There was a hectic moment midday when we were making gravy and mashed potatoes and trying to determine what the hell was going on with the bread, but all in all the day was relaxing. That's the way holidays should be, I think. Not too much work on a meal that lasts only 45 minutes or so.

My blessings to all of you. The holiday season has begun. Enjoy the season of light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home