Tuesday, February 15, 2005

All kinds of love

The Mormon neighbors' Siamese cat was flirting with Rufus yesterday. Rufus used to be a boy until he got snipped, and I think she's a girl.

She is totally cross-eyed. Which is probably why he hisses at her when she bounds up and bats him with her paw. He's probably saying, "I can't mate with you anyway, and if I could, I'd find a pussy who could look straight ahead!"

I'll have to warn the neighbors that he has a reputation for biting other cats on the butt.

***

Here's a little love music from Shakespeare in honor of the Hallmark holiday (oooh, so much alliteration).

When my love swears that she is made of truth,
I do believe her though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutored youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue:
On both sides thus is simple truth suppressed:
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
O! love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love, loves not to have years told:
Therefore I lie with her, and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flattered be.

138th Sonnet

***
So I stayed up late watching another Tom Cruise movie and didn't blog on Valentine's Day again, as I'd planned. Wouldn't you do the same?

Last year I decided to watch all his movies in chronological order, I think after seeing The Last Samurai. Did you know the first one was Endless Love? He shows up for about 2 minutes, talks in an incredibly nasal accent, and takes off his shirt. That's about it. I barely recognized him because the tape was so old and dark.

But the energy is there. You can see it full blast in Taps, which is one of my favorite Cruise movies. It also has Timothy Hutton and Sean Penn. It's a good movie in and of itself, which you can't say about all of Cruise's 1980s movies.

Because Cruise is such an intense actor, I always like him best when he turns that off: when Rebecca de Mornay asks him if he had a "good time last night" in Risky Business; when he figures out that Raymond (Dustin Hoffman) is the rain man in the eponymous movie; and last night, in Born on the Fourth of July, when his Dad lifts his paralyzed body into bed and tells him he has to leave. He says, "Who's gonna love me now?" And there's a beautifully composed shot when he comes home from the VA hospital and his Dad hugs him while he's in the wheelchair.

Next up: Days of Thunder, I think. I know it's one of the movies with Nicole Kidman.

*** OK, I'm not going to do italics on this blog anymore. They look retarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home