Thursday, November 30, 2006

The seduction

I'm just back from the last session of my Advanced Short Story class, in which they discussed two of my stories. I had picked the last classto workshop two of the stories from my linked collection, "The Price of Silence."

One man said he was "entranced" by my character; two others said they were "blown away." The first story discussed was about abortion: it was interesting to me that the men liked it more than the women. Maybe the men feel intimidated talking about it and so can't criticize it as well? Anway, I have no idea how to fix the second story, which nobody liked as well, at this point, but I'm hoping their written comments will give me some direction.

I had planned to take all these stories and put them on a website, move on with my writing life, but this workshop seemed like a siren's call: oh, come on, you can get them published. Just try a little harder!

After sending out 70 submissions from this collection in 2005 and getting no publication offers, though, I'm not sure I want to go down that road again with. Maybe an unconventional approach will suit me better. In any case, it would be quicker than waiting for some graduate student at some literary magazine to read my stories.

3 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's too much to ask but I'd love to read some of your stories... Could you send me a copy?

If you don't want to, I understand...

 
At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, critiquers are the pits when they don't agree, or worse when they don't like it!! bah.

SEVENTY submissions?? A for effort, for sure.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Price of Silence said...

Yeah, I think in the future a more targeted approach will work better. I'm just too impatient to wait for these mags.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home